1) Fire McDermott – I’m not going to waste time with the stats because we all know that this defense does not get it done. The last few years of J.J. being the defensive coordinator were not very good and it has gotten worse. Dawkins always talked about how much he hated the “bend but don’t break” pattern the defense had become. I suppose now under McDermott we could call it the “Bend and Shatter” defense. We are ALWAYS being sold on guys like Stewart Bradley and Ernie Sims and it never pans out.
It is true that we have had injuries at key positions but I would argue that we were slim and ugly in those spots to begin with. Our defense featured two rookies as starters, one key player coming off major injury, and one linebacker who was not wanted on the worst team in football. Folks… its broken and it’s hard to see how it can be fixed with this defensive coordinator in place.
2) Get the contracts done for Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson. I don’t care what other wide receivers are out there, I want Jackson signed. Yes, I understand that Jackson gets hurt and yes I understand that he’s not the perfect west coast offense wide receiver, but I think he is perfect for this team. Get those deals done, make them happy! These two guys have changed our team from a work place to a game. Keep them here.
3) This is where I’m going to sound nuts but hear me out. I think the Eagles should figure out what guy on the Falcons former coaching staff created all those crazy 3 headed monster plays. They used two running backs in the backfield and sometimes ran with Vick too. I would bring that guy in and keep him in a glass box (so he can’t make Mike regress). I don’t want to redo the offense but add a package or two that can feature a running game and keep defenses off balanced. If we added some of those power style runs into our playbook we would be deadly. Plus….. a run up the middle with Vick is much better than having him killed at full speed from the outside.
4) Add Nnamdi the Raiders cornerback (yes the guy we all want from Oakland). also an early draft CB too. This position used to be oour strongest. Now its weak. btw… i like Nate Allen and think he will be a star.
5) Draft a C and RG.
6) Crazy part two. Give Brian Dawkins a spot on this roster to coach up the young guys. If that can’t happen then bring him in as a coach.
7) Just add actual talent in free agency- We have a lot of spots that need to get better; cornerback, right guard, linebacker, strong safety – stop adding guys that have knee injuries, but go out and add real talent to these spots.
8) Keep guys around. It seems that we have made a habit of letting go of guys I think could have stayed for depth. Now I know Ernie Sims was bad but I say pay some of the guys and let them stick around as backups. Give them a shot in camp and keep them here. Witherspoon could have helped us this year don’t you think?
9) The coaching needs to be looked at. Special teams settled in but it was BAD to start out. The offensive line is not up to par…ok…it sucks. The defense is not a Philly D!! This team is soft and plays scared on defense. We really don’t know where the buck stops because they all take the blame but something has to change.
Overall we WAYYYYY overachieved this year. This offense is deadly. Yes they drop balls in the end zone. Yes they need to get guys like Riley Cooper more involved down in the red zone. The focus this offseason is the defense. From top to bottom it has to be looked at. Reid did a great job this year with the talent he had (I can’t believe I just wrote that). the question is…. was he the guy that put the defensive talent together? No one really knows.
Check out G. Cobb on 610-WIP tonight Sunday 7-11pm