- Cole Hamels turned in another solid start, allowing just two runs over eight innings. The lefty scattered eight hits and struck out seven.
- Hamels wore down a little bit late in the game, allowing a run in both the seventh and eighth innings.
- Hamels also had a nice game at the plate, picking up two hits and driving in a run in the third inning.
- A two-run double from Domonic Brown gave the Phillies the lead in the first inning.
- Jonathan Papelbon allowed a run in the ninth inning, giving him his fifth blown save of the year. Papelbon allowed his run after recording two outs.
- Antonio Bastardo pitched a scoreless 10th inning to get the win.
- Chase Utley led off the 10th inning with a double, and eventually came around to score the winning run.
- John Mayberry came through with a two-out single in the 10th to give the team their second straight walk-off win.
This 10-game homestand has been the high point for the Phillies this year. They fought hard over the last week and a half to to go 7-3, and get their record back to .500 before the All-Star break. This series with the White Sox proved to be the most mentally grinding to date, with all three games going to extra innings.
Even though the homestand was a success, its far from decided whether or not this team will be buyers or sellers in a couple of weeks. The Phillies still have a lot of work ahead of them. They’re probably going to be without Ben Revere for some time, Ruben Amaro spoke to the media after Sunday’s game and said that the initial prognosis was “not good”.
The good news is that, for the time being at least, the Phillies are finding more ways to win than to lose. There are reasons to be optimistic about this team. Cole Hamels looks like he’s finally gotten himself back on track, and he’s giving the team a great chance to win every fifth day once again. Darin Ruf has had a handful of strong showings during his first week in the big leagues. If some of the other veterans on this team (namely Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Carlos Ruiz) can heat up a little bit and start making strong contributions of their own, it would be a major boost for this group.